Today I’m celebrating my 33rd birthday. My day will probably include a few well-wishing phone calls, wiping some poopy butts, making three different lunches to suit the desires of three different kids, not having to make dinner because I use any excuse I can not to cook, and an evening spent watching DVR’d shows.
I tell you all that to explain why I didn’t entitle this post 33 INTERESTING Things About Me on My 33rd Birthday. I’m not a super exciting person.
33 Things About Me on My 33rd Birthday
Even so, I dug into my memory bank and tried to think of some of the more enthralling aspects of my life to share. I hope you enjoy.
1. I can jiggle my eyes. Like, make the eyeballs move side to side really really fast, faster than if you try to just look side to side really fast. I’m not exactly sure how to describe it. Actually I haven’t done it in years, so I’m just assuming that I still can. If I’d ever made it on Letterman, it would have been my stupid human trick.
2. I hate feet.
3. And birds.
4. Actually no. I’m terrified of birds.
5. While on my honeymoon, I also discovered that I have an irrational fear of jellyfish. Non-stinging ones. That’s a story I need to write sometime.
6. I love Cadbury Mini Eggs.
7. My mom set me up with Eric.
8. Eric and I never would have met if it hadn’t been for a mule named Alice.
9. Social situations stress me out.
10. I’m horrible at talking to people I don’t know well. Two words describe me: Socially. Awkward.
11. My lung collapsed my freshman year of college.
12. I pretty much always have a song stuck in my head. Right now it’s “You can hear the music on the AM radio…” I have no idea why. I haven’t heard that song in years.
13. It was while I was in the hospital for my lung collapse that I decided I wanted a spring wedding because I loved the flowers that filled my room.
14. I grew up on a campground.
15. I grew up on an island.
16. I’m very particular about how things are when I go to bed. I can’t have any hair touching my face, ears, or neck. The blankets have to be tucked in at the bottom. They have to reach up over my shoulders, but they can’t touch my face. I can feel the difference in weight if one blanket doesn’t reach as high as another and I have to fix it before I can sleep. The sheet has to be folded over the top of the blankets because I don’t want the blankets to touch my skin. Usually I’ll get it just right and then Eric will climb into bed which messes it up, so I have to start all over again.
17. I’m a weirdo. Number 15 proves it.
18. I have three older sisters.
19. My hubby-to-be and I grew our own tulips for our wedding.
20. I lived less than a mile from Stephen King for three years.
21. I’ve never seen Stephen King in person.
22. I’ve had three c-sections.
23. I’m not all that interesting because it’s really hard to think of 33 things.
24. I was a cheerleader. I think I only did it because my three older sisters were also cheerleaders. I have nothing against cheerleaders; it’s just not my personality.
25. I’ve been to Spain, England, Scotland, and a couple of Caribbean islands. Oh. And Canada.
26. When I went to college, everyone thought I was Canadian because of my accent. I say ‘aboot’ instead of ‘about’.
27. When I was little, we visited some friends in Canada and they asked if I wanted an orange pop. I was really excited, thinking I was going to get a popsicle. Imagine my disappointment when they brought me soda. I hated soda when I was a kid.
28. One of the very first things I noticed (and liked) about Eric was that he said, ‘Eh’ (pronounced like the letter A) like Canadians do. For example, “It’s pretty cold out today, eh?”
29. I’m beginning to think I should move to Canada.
31. When I was really little, I had imaginary friends named Lauren, Laura, and Laurie.
32. I swear I’m not as narcissistic as that makes me sound.
33. I’ve dreamed of being a writer since I was a little girl.